POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Known Bugs - 31 Dec 2001 : Re: Known Bugs - 31 Dec 2001 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Known Bugs - 31 Dec 2001
From: Rune
Date: 31 Dec 2001 15:30:45
Message: <3c30caf5@news.povray.org>
"Rune" wrote:
> Sorry, but I find usability and backwards compatibility
> more important than what your opinion is.

I should have phrased that differently...

Anyway, I'll try to make my point more clear.

It's a well known fact that the order in which the parameters of the camera
is specified is important. If you specify the angle after you specify the
direction, the length of the direction vector is adjusted to match the
angle, but if the direction is specified after the angle, the direction is
what counts. Similarly, if the look_at vector is specified after the
direction vector, the direction vector is adjusted, while if the direction
vector is specified after the look_at vector, then the direction overwrites
the look_at vector specified (or something like that).

There are some other such examples, and in general it's rather difficult to
fully understand how all the parameters in the camera interact (I don't
*fully* understand it myself). The documentation helps a lot though, if you
read it thoroughly.

The orthographic keyword is another such case. If it's specified in the
start, then the angle keyword won't make a difference, and the viewing area
can only be controlled with the up and right vectors. But if it's specified
in the end, it will "convert" the perspective camera to an orthographic
camera and take the former angle (specified or implied) into account. I
almost always use the orthographic camera that way because it's much easier.
I would find it a bad choice to change it.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Nov 5)